What is a MUD?
If you're new, you don't have to be intimidated by the seemingly
endless lines of text scrolling by faster than you can say "help!".
MUDs are simply real-time, online games within individually designed
world. The primary aim of this game is to gain 'experience points'
through killing monsters and thence gain levels. With each level
gained, you grow in power and ability until you reach the highest
levels. If you've played D&D/AD&D or other fantasy role-playing
games, this should be a familiar concept.
Typically role-playing in nature, MUDs combine fantasy, adventure
and magic in a social/interactive dimension. This means you are
not alone! There will always be many other people sharing the same
world and most of (if not all) the things happening within it.
Those who create and run a MUD are known as Implementors(IMPs).
Immortals are lower-ranking gods who assist the IMPs in the day-to-day running of the
MUD. And of course, there are the Players, fellow adventurers
with whom you'll be interacting with most often. As a MUD is home to diverse individuals,
it's wise to observe some etiquette, lest you offend the
very people you depend on to make the game a stimulating and rewarding one.
Frequently Asked Questions on MUDding
- Where are MUDs located?
- Don't I have a right to MUD?
- What should I do to connect to a MUD?
- What's a client program? Do I need one?
- I'm connected! What do I do next?
- What kind of name should I use for my
- What should I use as a password for my
- What can or can't I do in terms of player
- What's the difference between IMMs and
- Can I approach IMMs and IMPs for help?
- What's a newbie?
- How can I get help?
- Why do some people delight in bullying
- What is a flame?
- What is a BOT?
- What is a log?
- What is lag?
- What's the easiest way to annoy a veteran
- What's the easiest way to be a mean veteran
Go to FAQs
Note: This section pertains to MUD and MUDding in general. If you're
looking for information related to specifics about the HOTL3, Help
will be more enlightening.
Answers to questions from first-timers
Unwritten rules of the game
Definitions of terms used in MUDding
An insight into the Singapore lingo
Is this the real life
Is this just fantasy
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
-- Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"